Friday, March 28, 2008

Buttermilk cranberry scones

I look for recipes everywhere...you never know where you might find something yummy..or the base for something yummy, and then add your own touches to it.

As I was siting in the walk-in clinic a few weeks ago, while I was suffering from the plague, oops flu, going around, I was flipping through Good Housekeeping, and came across this recipe, called a 'celeb dish', and entitled "Courtney Cox's Currant Scones". It sounded yum, so I thought I would give it a go. I didn't have currents on me, so I replaced it with dried cranberries, which I always seem to have.

Here is the recipes with my changes:

3 C flour (I used 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat)
3 T sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 t baking soda
6 T cold butter, cut up
1/3 c dried cranberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 C, plus 1T buttermilk

1. Pre-heat oven to 425'

2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and baking soda. Add butter, blend until mixture resembles fine meal. Mix in egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk to form soft dough.

3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Pat dough 3/4 inch thick. With a 2 1/2-inch round cookies cutter (I used a glass turned upside-down) cut as many rounds as possible, gathering scraps together to use up all the dough.

4. Place rounds on lightly greased cookies sheet. Brush the tops with remaining buttermilk. Bake scones about 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Makes about 12 scones.

Serve plain, or with warm butter and jam.


I am about to make some, so we can have them for breakfast tomorrow.

Enjoy!

No comments: